The Dual Diploma program offered at Al Madina School of Richmond is a unique program that would allow Al Madina students to graduate high school with 2 diplomas: a high school diploma and an Associate degree diploma. The Dual Diploma program is a minimum commitment of 7 years that includes condensing middle and high school curriculum in 5 years (grades 6 – 10) then an additional 2 years (grades 11 – 12) pursuing an Associate degree through the Concurrent Enrollment program. The 7 years of Dual Diploma program commences at the grade 6 level and evaluation for eligibility begins in the elementary school level.
This program is academically and socially rigorous. It is not for every student, but Al Madina provides the opportunity to those who are willing and able to go through it. The rewards of successfully completing the Dual Diploma program is tremendous including the savings of time and money in the long run. As of August 2016, the first 2 students that we graduated from Tawheed Prep (Al Madina middle and high school prior to 2016 merge with Iqra Academy) under this program completed their bachelors 2 years after high school graduation and will attend University of Virginia’s medical school in the fall of 2016 at the ages of 16 and 17. Please see the following video link of their 2013 commencement speech:
Due to the high academic demands of the Dual Diploma program, stringent eligibility criteria have been set to ensure success of the completion of the Dual Diploma program. If the Dual Diploma program seem too rigorous and yet a student still would like a challenge above the norm, then consider looking into the Concurrent Enrollment program.
The following is the eligibility requirements for enrolling and staying in the Dual Diploma program:
1. Parents and students need to declare intention to be in the Dual Diploma program to Principal and Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor before the beginning of the 4th quarter of the 5th grade.
2. Student must have and maintain a 3.0 GPA (B or 80% average) with no grade less than a C (or 70%).
3. Student must submit 3 recommendation/ nomination letters from anyone in the community such as parent, teacher, coaches, etc. as character reference. Submission is given to Principal and Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor by the 4th quarter of the 5th grade.
4. Student must memorize Juz ‘amma before the end of the 7th grade.
5. Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor will monitor the student’s progress throughout the seven years of being in the dual diploma track and advise whether to maintain or exit the Dual Diploma program.
6. Approval from principal with any necessary requested reference letters.
7. Pass the placement test conducted by VCCS upon enrolling for Concurrent Enrollment at the end of 10th grade.
8. Ability to pay VCCS tuition separate from Al Madina tuition and fees. Note: Dual Diploma students would be exclusively taking Concurrent Enrollment classes at VCCS in the 11th and 12th grade years.
Tuition and fees for Al Madina students in concurrent enrollment who are still taking classes at Al Madina campus would be regular tuition and fees. Additional costs to concurrently enrolled students is the tuition to VCCS for Concurrent Enrollment class(es).
Tuition and fees for Al Madina students in concurrent enrollment who are not taking any classes at Al Madina campus would be regular fees, an additional Concurrent Enrollment fee (see tuition schedule) that would cover the administration costs of managing a high school student enrolled with VCCS, and no tuition. Additional costs to concurrently enrolled students is the tuition to VCCS for Concurrent Enrollment class(es).
529 education investment account may be used for paying VCCS tuition and fees as a high school student. Please check with your 529 account agent for details.
The following are the steps of Concurrent Enrollment for those who are eligible in the Dual Diploma program:
1. Apply to a VCCS school with the guidance of Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor at the end of the 10th grade.
2. Meet with VCCS counselor and sign up for placement test with the guidance of Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor.
3. Take placement test and discuss results with VCCS counselor for class options and curriculum for pursuance of Associate Degree.
4. Discuss desired class and curriculum track with Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor and VCCS counselor.
5. Fill the concurrent enrollment form provided by VCCS and have it reviewed by Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor and approved by Principal.
6. Submit concurrent enrollment form to VCCS counselor.
7. Pay, or make payment arrangement with VCCS for tuition by the due date that VCCS counselor has informed.
8. Take classes and do well. No grade should be less than a B. Depending on certain Associate degree curriculum, minimum grade maintenance would be required for earning the degree.
9. Get help from Al Madina or VCCS counselor as needed.
10. Once VCCS report card at the end of semester is distributed, do not forget to submit a copy to Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor to transfer the class credit into high school transcript.
11. At the receipt of high school credits (end of 12th grade), high school transcript will be given to VCCS to allow VCCS to change status of concurrent enrolled high school student to college student for the receipt of Associate degree diploma.
Earning of Associate degree diploma is pending upon student performance in the Associate degree curriculum of their choice. Staying in the Dual Diploma program will depend upon student academic, social, and spiritual performance. Admittance to the Dual Diploma program at the end of 5th grade, or beginning of 6th grade, is not an automatic guarantee of finishing with the Dual Diploma program. Transferring out of Al Madina School of Richmond in the middle of a Dual Diploma program does not guarantee full transfer of credits and eligibility of advance academic programs. The Dual Diploma program is a commitment of 7 years.