Skip to content
The Concurrent Enrollment program is offered to students grades 11 and 12 to be able to attend college credit classes on site at a local Virginia Community College System (VCCS), such as J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College. Students who take classes through VCCS Concurrent Enrollment would have the chance for their classes to transfer credit into almost all state universities and colleges in Virginia. This is an advantage to high school students who want to get a head start at college while still under the guidance of teachers and parents as a high school student. In the long run, this also saves money for parents as well; for instance, VCCS tuition is typically much less expensive than 4-year College tuition.
The following is the eligibility requirements for Concurrent Enrollment:
1. Student must be an Al Madina student for at least 1 full school year.
2. Student must have and maintain 3.0 GPA with no grades less than a C- or 70%.
3. Approval from principal with any necessary requested reference letters.
4. Pass the placement test conducted by VCCS.
5. Ability to pay VCCS tuition separate from Al Madina tuition and fees. Note: depending on class enrollment at VCCS, tuition and fees to Al Madina may vary.
Tuition and fees for Al Madina students in concurrent enrollment who are still taking classes at Al Madina campus would be regular tuition and fees. Additional costs to concurrently enrolled students is the tuition to VCCS for Concurrent Enrollment class(es).
Tuition and fees for Al Madina students in concurrent enrollment who are not taking any classes at Al Madina campus would be regular fees, an additional Concurrent Enrollment fee (see tuition schedule) that would cover the administration costs of managing a high school student enrolled with VCCS, and no tuition. Additional costs to concurrently enrolled students is the tuition to VCCS for Concurrent Enrollment class(es).
529 education investment account may be used for paying VCCS tuition and fees as a high school student. Please check with your 529 account agent for details.
The following are the steps for Concurrent Enrollment for those who are eligible:
1. Apply to a VCCS school with the guidance of Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor.
2. Meet with VCCS counselor and sign up for placement test with the guidance of Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor.
3. Take placement test and discuss results with VCCS counselor for class options.
4. Discuss desired class and curriculum track with Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor and VCCS counselor.
5. Fill the concurrent enrollment form provided by VCCS and have it reviewed by Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor and approved by Principal.
6. Submit concurrent enrollment form to VCCS counselor.
7. Pay, or make payment arrangement with VCCS for tuition by the due date that VCCS counselor has informed.
8. Take classes and do well (no less than a B is desirable).
9. Get help from Al Madina or VCCS counselor as needed.
10. Once VCCS report card at the end of semester is distributed, do not forget to submit a copy to Al Madina Guidance Counselor/ Academic Advisor to transfer the class credit into high school transcript.
There are three finished tracks associated with Concurrent Enrollment. Each track has separate finished goals:
1. Concurrent enrollment at the 12th grade: Finishing high school core curriculum in the 12th grade while being able to take some concurrent enrollment class as electives. Result: entering college able to opt-out of several classes.
2. Concurrent enrollment at the 11th grade: Finishing high school core curriculum in the 11th grade while being able to take some concurrent enrollment class as core class and/or electives. By 12th grade, all classes would exclusively be concurrent enrollment class as core class credits or elective credits. Result: entering college with having finished 2 semesters of college and have sophomore status.
3. Dual Diploma: earning an Associate Degree of the student’s choice of study (whatever is available) and a high school diploma simultaneously at the end of 12th grade. Classes as part of concurrent enrollment will count as both core class credits and elective credit. 11th & 12th grade will be exclusively concurrent enrollment classes. Should students enroll into a 4-year college program, they would most likely only have 2 more years left to earn a bachelor’s degree. Eligibility and process of enrollment of Dual Diploma is more stringent than Concurrent Enrollment alone and can be found under the Dual Diploma program.
Transferring out of Al Madina School of Richmond in the middle of a Concurrent Enrollment program does not guarantee full transfer of credits.
Thank You To All Those Who Continue To Donate. Your donations are an integral part of our students' growth! . More Details
Scroll Below For Community News & Events
Due to the Corona Virus, we are asking all visitors to enter our campus with masks. STAY SAFE!
You can donate conveniently right from your phone by texting, ‘4ALMADINA’ to 44-321
WE DISMISS 1/2 DAY EVERY FRIDAY @ 12:30 JUMMAH MUBARAK!!